RIVERSIDE, Calif. -- Senior outside hitter Emily Allen hit 12 kills with 10 digs while junior Lauren Matias added another 10 kills, leading UC Davis to a 25-17, 25-21, 25-20 sweep of UC Riverside in Big West Conference women's volleyball action at the SRC Arena Saturday night.
The Aggies, winners of seven straight, improve to 16-9 for the year and 8-5 in conference. The Highlanders slip to 8-16 overall and 3-9 in Big West play.
Allen was the only UC Davis with double-digit floor defense, but Matias and senior libero Malia Bolko picked up nine digs apiece. Senior middle blocker Lauren Jackson had a team-high four blocks. Senior opposite Nicola Moore had seven kills and three blocks, including four and two in the opening set.
Freshman outside hitter Marissa Holt led UCR with seven kills with no other player managing more than four. As a team, the Highlanders had just 31 kills with 22 attacking errors for a hitting average of .077, compared to their guests' .236 efficiency rate.
UC Davis returns home for Big West matches against Cal Poly (Thursday) and UC Santa Barbara (Saturday).
NOTES & HIGHLIGHTS
• Moore posted four kills and two blocks in the first, set, including two kills in a 7-1 run that set UC Davis out to a 17-10 lead... She and freshman MB Josie Ough then teamed up for back-to-back stuffs for the final two points of the set.
• The Aggies trailed by as much as 15-10 before slowly battling back to a 15-15 tie... Allen hammered out three kills in a four-point span to set UC Davis to a 20-18 lead, then later delivered her seventh kill of the frame to make it 22-19.
• The two teams engaged in 10 ties in the final set, including one as late as 19-19... Bowman served up her second ace of the match and Ough fired two kills in a 5-0 run to craft a 24-19 match point, then UCR failed to contain Allen's shot for the match-winner.
• Allen's double-double marks the 33rd of her career... She finished the weekend with career totals of 992 kills and 987 digs... She looks to become just the 10th member of the program's 1,000 club in each category, and just the fourth the reach that milestone in both stats.
• UC Davis' 16 wins matches already last year's total as the career high for head coach Dan Conners' five years at the helm.
ABOUT UC DAVIS: Providing a small-town community feel while providing a world-class academic experience, UC Davis is home to more than 37,000 students and centrally located between San Francisco, Lake Tahoe, and the Napa Valley. The No. 5-ranked public university in the nation according to the Wall Street Journal, and among the top 10 public universities nationwide according to U.S. News and World Report, UC Davis offers nearly 100 graduate programs and more than 100 academic majors across four colleges and six professional schools, ranking among the world and nation's best in numerous disciplines, including veterinary science, agriculture, and plant and animal programs.
AGGIE EVO: Established in 2017-18, the Aggie EVO System is UC Davis Athletics' investment in the primary mission of preparing student-athletes for a successful "launch" after graduation. Thanks to a collaboration of alumni, university resources, corporate partners, coaches and Student-Athlete Outcomes staff, all Aggies are guided over four years to acquire the skills, knowledge, opportunities and tools to better know and navigate the "World of Work" after graduating from UC Davis. Follow the Aggie EVO system on Twitter and Instagram at @AggieEVO.