DAVIS, Calif. -- Senior outside hitter Brianna Karsseboom
tallied a career-high 18 kills, senior outside hitter Emily Allen
added another 17, while opposite Nicola Moore
chipped in another 11 kills and a .440 average, leading UC Davis to a four-set, 25-17, 21-25, 25-18, 25-14 win over Long Beach State in Big West Conference women's volleyball action at the Pavilion Thursday night.
The Aggies improve to 13-9 for the year and even their league record to 5-5. The 49ers fall to 13-11 overall and 5-6 in Big West play.
As a team, UC Davis hit .305 with 55 kills against just 12 attacking errors against the conference's leading net defense. Karssboom committed only three hitting miscues toward a .349 average, while Allen finished with a 17-4-37 line for a .351 success rate. Moore had no attacking errors in 25 swings. Another senior, middle blocker Lauren Jackson
, led the Aggies with six block assists, part of nine team stuffs for the match.
Setter Paloma Bowman
led the UC Davis floor defense with 16 digs to go with her 29 assists. Karsseboom added another 14 digs with senior libero Malia Bolko
tallying 13 gets.
For LBSU, freshman outside hitter Kahauna Williams recorded 12 kills with Emma Kirst and Tyler Spriggs adding 11 apiece. Kirst also hit for a high average at .550, and contributed on four of her team's six blocks.
UC Davis concludes its five-match Big West homestand on Saturday against CSUN. Match time is 7 p.m.
NOTES & HIGHLIGHTS
• UC Davis led for the entirety of the first set and did not trail during the match until a successful tip by LBSU middle Kjersti Norveel gave the 49ers a 21-20 edge late in the second.
• Covering Long Beach State's block was a point of emphasis for UC Davis heading into the match, given that the 49ers pace the Big West with 2.36 stuffs per set... As such, the Aggies covered 11 blocks, including three on a side out to make it 4-4 in the fourth set.
• The two teams battled to 13 total ties in the third and fourth combined, but a 7-1 Aggie run turned an 8-8 impasse into a 14-9 lead midway through the fourth... Karsseboom notched her 17th and 18th kills while Jackson and Moore teamed up for back-to-back blocks in that stretch.
• UC Davis hit .321, .467 and .325 in its three set wins, committing a total of just four attacking errors on 111 attempts in those frames... On the other hand, the Aggies had eight attack errors in their second-set loss, with four coming against LBSU blocks.
• Karsseboom's previous high was 17 kills, set at Cal State Fullerton on Oct. 14 last year... Moore has had three double-digit offensive performances in the last four matches this season, combining for 47-11-100 (.360) hitting in that span.
• Allen raised her career totals to 956 kills and 960 digs, looking to become just the fourth player in school history to amass 1,000 in both categories... UC Davis has six dates remaining on the 2018 schedule.
ABOUT UC DAVIS: Providing a small-town community feel while providing a world-class academic experience, UC Davis is home to more than 37,000 students and centrally located between San Francisco, Lake Tahoe, and the Napa Valley. The No. 5-ranked public university in the nation according to the Wall Street Journal, and among the top 10 public universities nationwide according to U.S. News and World Report, UC Davis offers nearly 100 graduate programs and more than 100 academic majors across four colleges and six professional schools, ranking among the world and nation's best in numerous disciplines, including veterinary science, agriculture, and plant and animal programs.
AGGIE EVO: Established in 2017-18, the Aggie EVO System is UC Davis Athletics' investment in the primary mission of preparing student-athletes for a successful "launch" after graduation. Thanks to a collaboration of alumni, university resources, corporate partners, coaches and Student-Athlete Outcomes staff, all Aggies are guided over four years to acquire the skills, knowledge, opportunities and tools to better know and navigate the "World of Work" after graduating from UC Davis. Follow the Aggie EVO system on Twitter and Instagram at @AggieEVO.