UC Davis (8-3-3, 1-2-1) at UC Santa Barbara (7-6-1, 1-2-1)
Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2018 | 7:00 p.m. PT | Harder Stadium | Santa Barbara, Calif.
FOLLOW: Live Stats
| Live Video
Cal State Fullerton (6-3-6, 2-1-1) at UC Davis (8-3-3, 1-2-1)
Saturday, Oct. 20, 2018 | 4:00 p.m. | Aggie Soccer Field | Davis, Calif.
FOLLOW: Live Stats
| Live Video
With the Big West Conference men's soccer season winding down, points are precious as teams continue to jockey for conference tournament seeding. Three regular season matches remain — two of those on the road — for UC Davis, which heads down the coast to take on UC Santa Barbara on Wednesday (Oct. 17) at 7 p.m., before coming home to face Cal State Fullerton and celebrate its seniors on Saturday (Oct. 20) at 4 p.m. — with "Senior Day" festivities are scheduled to begin at approximately 3:45 p.m. — at Aggie Soccer Field.
IN THE POLLS:
UC Davis enters the week receiving votes in both the Top Drawer Soccer and College Soccer News national polls released on Monday (Oct. 15)… The Aggies are unranked in the latest United Soccer Coaches poll released on Tuesday (Oct. 16), but stand No. 6 in the Far West Region rankings along with Big West mates UC Irvine (No. 5), CSUN (No. 7), and Cal State Fullerton (No. 9).
AGGIES IN THE RPI:
UC Davis is ranked No. 37 in the nation according to the fourth NCAA RPI release posted on Monday (Oct. 15), standing as the second-highest ranked team in the Big West behind only league-leading UC Irvine… The Aggies, who have been ranked as high as No. 14 in the RPI this season, have faced five opponents ranked among the top 50 in the RPI this week: Saint Mary's (No. 9), Creighton (No. 14), UC Irvine (No. 17), Oregon State (No. 35), and CSUN (No. 44).
WEEK-BY-WEEK IN THE RPI
Sept. 24: No. 31
Oct. 1: No. 14
Oct. 8: No. 30
Oct. 15: No. 37
BE A FOLLOWER:
Fans can keep up with the latest in UC Davis men's soccer by "liking" them on Facebook (/UCDavisMensSoccer) and following the Aggies on Twitter (@UCDavisMSOC).
ABOUT THE GAUCHOS:
UC Santa Barbara enters the week with a 7-6-1 overall record and is tied in the Big West standings with the Aggies with a 1-2-1 mark in conference play… The Gauchos are undefeated at home this season, posting a perfect 6-0 mark at Harder Stadium — site of this year's NCAA Men's College Cup… UCSB went winless last week, falling 1-0 at UC Riverside and posting a 2-2 draw at UC Irvine… Sophomore forward Rodney Michael leads the team in scoring with six goals and three assists for 15 points, pacing a squad that has scored only 16 times this year — the second fewest in the league… The Gauchos' defense, however, has allowed only 13 scores through 14 matches, tied with UC Davis for the fewest in the conference… Freshman goalkeeper Ben Roach has played all but 90 minutes this season between the pipes, posting a 0.89 goals against average and 43 saves to go with three shutouts.
The Gauchos lead the all-time series with the Aggies, 17-8-3, but UC Davis has won the last three straight meetings between the two programs, outscoring UC Santa Barbara by a 9-0 count during that run… The three-match winning streak is the longest for the Aggies in the history of the series… The two teams have gone to overtime 11 times since 2004, with the Gauchos posting a 6-2-3 mark in those matches… UCSB's last win in the series came on Oct. 19, 2016 in a, 2-1, overtime win in Davis… UC Davis is just 4-10-2 in Santa Barbara since 2004, but has tasted victory in each of its last two trips down the coast in 2016 (1-0) and 2017 (5-0).
ABOUT THE TITANS:
Cal State Fullerton enters the weekend with a 6-3-6 overall record and a 2-1-1 mark in Big West play to stand tied for second in the standings… The Titans swept their two matches last week, posting a 2-0 win over Cal Poly and a 1-0 shutout of Sacramento State at home… Fullerton, which travels to nearby UC Irvine on Wednesday, is 3-1-3 away from home this season, suffering its first road defeat at the hands of UC Santa Barbara two weeks ago… Ten different players have scored goals for the Titans, led by senior forward Samuel Goni, who has five of the team's 20 scores and 12 points overall… Junior goalkeeper Paul-Andre Guerin has played all but 26 minutes in net, posting a 0.99 goals against average and 60 saves to go with five shutouts this season.
The series between the Aggies and Titans is tied, 9-9-5, entering this week's meeting after the two programs battled to a scoreless draw in last year's Big West Tournament championship match… UC Davis is unbeaten (2-0-2) in its last four meetings with Fullerton dating back to a, 1-0, Titan victory in 2015… Seven of the all-time meetings have finished in overtime, with Fullerton holding a, 2-1-4, edge in those contests… UC Davis leads the series, 6-4-3, in matches played at Aggie Soccer Field — including a 4-1-2 mark in the last seven Northern California meetings.
AGGIE DUO AMONG TOP DRAWER SOCCER'S BEST:
UC Davis senior managerial economics major Roy Boateng
and freshman managerial economics major Connor Tipton
are both ranked among the nation's top players according to Top Drawer Soccer's midseason top 100 lists. Boateng, who began the year ranked No. 42 on the website's preseason rankings, moved up three spots to No. 39 — the highest-ranked Big West Conference player on the list and one of only four from the league among the top 100. Meanwhile, Tipton, a midfielder from Sonora, Calif., is ranked No. 75 in the organization's midseason freshman rankings, one of 10 newcomers to the Big West among the top 100. Read the complete release here: https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2018/10/15/mens-soccer-boateng-tipton-among-top-drawer-soccers-best.aspx?prl=636752254705599756
AGGIE TWITTER NOTES…
• UC Davis will face the top two teams from the coaches preseason poll this week after Fullerton was picked to win the conference and UC Santa Barbara was selected second
• Junior sociology major Adam Mickelson
finished with a goal and an assist at UC Riverside last week for his third, three-point match of the season (CSU Bakersfield and Gonzaga)
• Mickelson now has 29 career points in 35 career matches for the Aggies, moving him into a tie with Sule Anibaba
for ninth on the program's Division I list
• Mickelson's eight career goals ties him for 10th in the program's Division I history, while his 13 career assists puts him one back of Dylan Curtis' career Division I record of 14
• Mickelson's 14 points this year are tied for seventh on the program's Division I single-season list — just one back of his total from last year that ranks sixth on that same list
• His six assists this year rank tied for second on the school's Division I single-season list — just one shy of his total from last year that ranks second on that list
• Junior global disease biology major Wallis Lapsley
posted his ninth career shutout at UC Riverside, placing him fourth on the program's Division I list
• Lapsley's 54 saves this year are 15 back of Omar Zeenni's Division I era single-season record of 69 set in 2012
• With his game-winner against the Highlanders, senior political science major Justin Wright
now has seven points in his last five matches, including three scores
• The Aggies are 4-0 this season when Mickelson scores a goal and 6-1 when he scores a point
• Freshman biological sciences major Kaleb Schirmacher
scored his first career goal against UC Irvine, becoming the 12th different Aggie to find the back of the net this season
• UC Davis' win at UC Riverside marked the fifth time this season that the Aggies have scored three goals in a match and their first since a 3-1 win over Santa Clara on Sept. 15
• The three goals in the second half against the Highlanders marked the second time this season that UC Davis has scored three goals in a half (San Jose State)
• 18 of the team's 22 goals this season have come in the second half or later (17 in the second half, one in overtime)
• Seven different players have scored game-winning goals this season as only Justin Wright
has multiple winners (two)
• Senior managerial economics major Matt Baringer
enters the week ranked ninth on the school's Division I shots list (90) and tied for fifth in career shots on goal (43)
• Lapsley is one of only four goalkeepers in the program's Division I history with 100-or-more career saves, standing just eight back of Armando Quezada (2012-16) for third
• Junior statistics major Dylan Wood
converted a penalty kick for the final goal at UC Riverside last week — the first penalty kick goal for the Aggies since Miguel Acevedo
converted against CSUN in the 88th minute on Sept. 30, 2017
• UC Davis is 4-for-4 in its last four PK attempts dating back to Oct. 30, 2016, at UC Santa Barbara and are 23-for-32 (.719) in the program's Division I era
• The 21 shots against UC Irvine were a season high and the most since the Aggies finished with the same number against CSUN on Sept. 30 of last season
• The 12 shots on goal against the Anteaters were also a season high and the most since finishing with 12 against Sacramento State on Oct. 20, 2012
WHERE THEY RANK… NCAA (Top 100 as of Oct. 15)
• LAPSLEY: shutouts (23rd); goals against average (33rd); save percentage (13th); saves per game (69th); saves (20th); minutes (10th)
• MICKELSON: points (83rd); assists per game (55th); assists (24th)
• MEJIA: assists (90th)
• TEAM: scoring offense (68th); goals (38th); goals against average (36th); shutout percentage (62nd); winning percentage (38th); shot accuracy (60th); assists per game (61st); saves per game (58th); points per game (64th); save percentage (15th); assists (36th); points (37th); shots per game (51st); shots on goal per game (42nd)
WHERE THEY RANK… BIG WEST (as of Oct. 15)
• MICKELSON: shots (8th); shots per game (10th); points (t5th); points per game (t6th); goals (t9th); assists (t1st); assists per game (2nd)
• MEJIA: points per game (10th); assists (t3rd); assists per game (1st)
• WOOD: goals per game (10th)
• WRIGHT: game-winning goals (t3rd)
• LAPSLEY: goals against average (1st); save percentage (1st); saves (t2nd); saves per game (4th); shutouts (t1st); shutouts per game (1st)
• TEAM: shots (3rd); shots per game (3rd); goals (3rd); goals per game (3rd); assists (3rd); assists per game (3rd); fewest goals allowed (t1st); goals against average (1st); saves (4th); shutouts (t3rd); fouls (3rd); corners (5th); offsides (t5th);
MEN'S SOCCER RECOGNIZED FOR ACADEMIC SUCCESS:
Enjoying one of its finest seasons on the field, UC Davis was honored for one of its finest seasons off of it, recognized by for its work in the classroom by earning the United Soccer Coaches Team Academic Award for the 2017-18 school year. The Aggies were one of 289 men's programs across all divisions — and the only Big West program on the men's side — to be honored, part of a larger group that saw a total of 773 men's and women's teams lauded for their academic success.
ABOUT THE AGGIES:
UC Davis clinched the Big West North Division title and advanced to the league tournament championship match for the second time in the program's history, capping off a year that saw the Aggies finish 11-7-3 overall and 7-2-1 in Big West play… The 11 victories overall were the most wins since 2008 (13-5-4) and were the third-most in the program's history… Junior Adam Mickelson
leads the returning group on offense after scoring four goals and assisting on seven others a season ago, pacing the squad with 15 points… Senior Matt Baringer
also returns after scoring five times and finishing with 12 points on the year… Junior Wallis Lapsley
is the incumbent in net, starting all 21 matches while posting a 1.32 goals against average and 58 saves to go with four shutouts.
AGGIES PICKED FOURTH IN BIG WEST PRESEASON POLL:
The reigning Big West North Division champions received 40 points overall and a first-place vote to boot as the Aggies were picked to finish fourth in a revamped single eight-team league table according to a vote of the conference's head coaches. UC Davis was picked to finish behind reigning tournament champion Cal State Fullerton (57 points, four first-place votes), UC Santa Barbara (55 points, three first-place votes), and CSUN (47 points).
TRIO NAMED PRESEASON ALL-CONFERENCE:
For the second straight season, the Aggies dominated the preseason all-conference team, placing a league-best three players on the 11-member squad in senior Roy Boateng
, junior Adam Mickelson
, and sophomore Nabi Kibunguchy
. The trio becomes the sixth, seventh, and eighth, UC Davis student-athletes named to the preseason all-conference team since the league began the practice prior to the 2012 season. Read the complete release: http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/news/2018/8/16/mens-soccer-aggies-place-three-on-preseason-all-league-team.aspx.
UC DAVIS BIG WEST PRESEASON ALL-CONFERENCE TEAM SELECTIONS
2018: Roy Boateng
, Adam Mickelson
, Nabi Kibunguchy
2017: Noah Wilson
, Kyle Higgins
, Evan Barrett
2014: Ramon Martin Del Campo, Matt Wiesenfearth
2012: Matt Wiesenfarth
ABOUT UC DAVIS
Providing a small-town community feel while providing a world-class academic experience, UC Davis is home to more than 37,000 students and centrally located between San Francisco, Lake Tahoe, and the Napa Valley. The No. 5-ranked public university in the nation according to the Wall Street Journal and Times Higher Education, UC Davis offers nearly 100 graduate programs and more than 100 academic majors across four colleges and six professional schools, ranking among the world and nation's best in numerous disciplines, including veterinary science, agriculture, and plant and animal programs.
Launched in 2017-18, the Aggie EVO System is UC Davis Athletics' investment in the primary mission of preparing student-athletes for a successful "launch" after graduation. Thanks to a collaboration of alumni, university resources, corporate partners, coaches and Student-Athlete Outcomes staff, all Aggies are guided over four years to acquire the skills, knowledge, opportunities and tools to better know and navigate the "World of Work" after graduating from UC Davis. Follow the Aggie EVO system on Twitter and Instagram at @AggieEVO.